Saturday, March 1, 2014

My Wedding Dress Adventure: No Peeking!

"This is the one!"

I exclaimed, running my hands over the fabric and starring at my reflection in the mirror. My mom surveyed the gown within the field of her iPhone camera and snapped a couple pictures of me in all the glory of my wedding dress! The sales lady, Theresa, made some quick alterations with a few strategically placed pins as I heard my mom's approval, "I think you are right! That one is very beautiful!" I took another glance at my reflection in the mirror and raised on tiptoes to pretend I was in high heels as Theresa placed a pin in the correct place to bustle my train. The dress was an absolutely stunning gown, emphasizing curves and fanning into a controllable manner, all while flattering my figure! I knew right at that moment I had found my wedding dress! Shhh!!!..... Of course, I really can't describe it in too great a detail or post a picture, lest prying eyes should see (aka: my fiancé.) That whole not seeing the bride in her wedding dress tradition/superstition and all! So everyone will just have to wait until the wedding day or until wedding pictures are posted to see it's perfectness!

The dress really does make me look amazingly gorgeous, but that is not its only appealing attribute, considering the boutique was offering a 50% off sale through the end of February on all things bridal, including the wedding dresses! I was tipped off about this great sale by my mom who happened to see the posted offer displayed in the window of B&J's Formals in Corinth, Mississippi. My mom has pretty good taste and saw the potential to help me penny pinch in another high dollar area of my budget. She scoped out the place before I made the drive over from Chattanooga to view the boutique. The pursuit of finding a wedding dress seemed like an excellent mother daughter excursion too! :) I had tried on a couple of dresses earlier in February by myself at David's Bridal. The experience was a bit depressing alone. It's much more fun when someone else can help you in and out of the dress and take pictures! Unfortunately, I did not find a dress at David's Bridal. I was looking for dresses with a lot of lace, but this year's David's Bridal collections didn't seem to have many with its inclusion.

My experience at B&J's Formals with my Mom was much more fun! I'm glad we were able to get together and actually find a dress. Although I'll admit, I thought it would take longer to decide on one, considering it took so long to find our venue. The ladies at B&J's Formals were really nice too! They were very informative and helpful, but didn't suddenly become a second shadow spouting off facts about the dresses, deals, or any other means of pressure-some and uncomfortable behavior. They opened a dressing room and placed the 5 or 6 dresses we had selected on the hook. I gathered right away that customers were not as frequent as they used to be, since they didn't fuss over us having more than the 3 dress minimum in the dressing room. They also spoke of downsizing their stock, mentioning that the internet had made it too difficult to compete. Of course, this was to my benefit with the 50% off sale! This boutique also provided brides with the option of renting the gown rather than limiting them to simply having to buy it. Although, some may frown at buying a rental or pre-owned dress, it is becoming a trendy way to save money on designer gowns. Sites such as www.BravoBride.com and www.OnceWed.com allow brides to pass on their new or pre-owned wedding dresses to another bride at a discounted price. The dress I purchased from the boutique was actually 60% off of its original retail price and has a well respected name to boot! If you are thinking of saving money in this area of your wedding budget, particularly by not spending an enormous amount on the wedding dress, the following blog offers some creative options. http://www.bravobride.com/blog/tag/jasmine-f473/

There are a few tips I've collected during my experience that a bride hunting for the perfect wedding dress might find helpful. First, look at lots of pictures! This can be an overwhelming process as your fashion senses verge on the brink of sensory overload. Looking at pictures can help you envision a wedding dress that defines who you are as you narrow down your particular style.Taking your time in deciding what you like is certainly well worth the time. This can also potentially save you from becoming disappointed after buying the first dress you like on a whim. Bridal magazines like The Knot Magazine and Bridal Guide usually contain hundreds of dresses by popular designers in the wedding industry and list the perspective price ranges for each of the featured dresses. Magazines like The Knot Magazine also contain listings for boutique locations where you can buy certain designer lines as well. These magazines can be useful in displaying the latest trends in wedding fashion. Do not feel limited simply to magazines to define your wedding dress style. There are also free resources available that are quite popular as well: Pinterest, Instagram, Etsy, and the internet, to name a few. These sites often feature new and creative wedding fashions and dress ideas.

I did purchase The Knot Magazine and went through it with my fiancé. I can't say this influenced my taste any, but it was kind of fun getting a sense of what he thought was pretty. I had a lot of fun sorting through the pictures and revealing my own sense of likes and dislikes. I really loved the elegance of the lace dresses. There was something very timeless and romantic about this type of fabric when coupled with the 3/4 or capped sleeves. I ranked this fabric relatively high on my list of likes, along with the classier look of buttons and laces down the back! I tended to prefer the dresses that clung and flattered the figure, particularly the trumpet and mermaid styles rather than the sheath and ball gowns. I also gravitated toward dresses that had a controllable train, meaning that it could be bustled or detached. Which is usually an available option for most wedding dresses. Nothing like a gargantuous dress to stumble over on the way down the aisle or try to contain during the reception. For me this was an essential element for my wedding dress, since tripping is already a very real fear I have if I wear high hears during the ceremony or reception. Certainly don't want to be taking a trip that quickly! Hahaha...

Another helpful tip is to set a budget for your dress before you start searching for it. Once you commit to that price feel free to shop. However, do not try on anything outside of the number you have selected for your budget, because the worst thing to happen, would be to fall in love with the perfect dress you can't afford. Also be on the lookout for end of the season and discount sales. Boutique often change their floor stocks out during the year to make room for newer designs. It is possible to buy a more expensive dress for your budgeted price if you can catch a discounted sale. However, stock might be limited or sales sporadic, so it's best to have a dollar amount in mind that you are willing to spend on your dress and look in that price range.

If it is possible, online picture shop first before visiting any of their local bridal boutiques. Preview their dresses online and make a list of any specific dresses that you would like to try on when you do visit. Do not be afraid to include a couple that are totally different to your selections! You never know, you might just look amazing in the one you least suspect! This might seem like a lot of forward work, but it will save time later when you start to actively pursue a dress in a boutique. I would also recommend actually buying a dress that you try on first. Sadly, this philosophy excludes most cheap dresses you'll find online. Oh, and just in case you are asking yourself, "Do I really need to try on the dress first when I know my measurements?" The answer is, "Yes!"  Dress sizes can range significantly between designers. Surprisingly, I was everywhere between a size 4 to 10 when I tried on dresses, which was eye opening. I originally was fond of the idea of buying a dress online, but not after that. (This doesn't mean you can't buy online though. That's just my opinion.) Another consideration is that fabric sometimes lays differently on flesh than when it is on a hanger or manikin. Some dresses may even need alterations in order for them to fit perfectly. My dress required a couple darts in the bust so that I wasn't unveiling more at my wedding than intended!

In the end, I am extremely happy with my wedding dress I purchased from B&J's Formals! It is stunningly gorgeous on me and will be perfect! I also got to spend some quality time with my mom and share the experience with her! Right now I am waiting for alterations to be completed on the dress, which wasn't going to cost but $20 to have done. (This is really cheap comparative speaking.) I was also able to get a fabulous deal and stay well under the price I budgeted for the dress! I just wish I could post a picture of this awesome find, but I know prying eyes are afoot! (He was very disappointed he couldn't see a picture, so I'm not taking any chances!) There will be no premature peeking!!!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment