Monday, March 31, 2014

What's on the menu?

"These are so cute!"

I exclaimed, marveling over the mini sandwiches that were loaded with lettuce, tomato, pickle, cheese, and a hamburger patty on two little buns. Johnny placed our two samplings on the table in front of us and proceeded to take his little sandwich between two fingers. It's size in comparison to his mouth gave me the giggles all over again. "Wait!" I quickly ordered, picking up my phone and snapping a posed shot of him. "We will definitely be adding these to our menu!"

I placed a check mark on the menu the receptionist had given us beside the sliders and fries and quickly gobbled down the sandwich in a few quick bites.  I nibbled on the 4 or 5 fries that accompanied the item as I systematically checked down through the food that had either met or not met our satisfaction and quickly added, "Our guests reactions will be priceless!" (Hehe, which is why I've excluded the picture!) Priceless the wedding menu shall be, if not by the size of the food than by the taste of it! The sliders and fries are but a small part of what can be expected on the buffet or passed as hors d'oeuvres. There were several items that were quite tasty, among them, the Parmesan Caesar salad toast cups, the fresh fruit and cheese platter, and the meatloaf cupcakes with mashed potato icing, but none that created as lasting an impression as the sliders.

I can definitely say that attending the tasting this past weekend at Grandview was beneficial for us. The purpose of the event was not just to acquaint us with Grandview's catering services, but to also introduce it's interested couple with several other available services in the wedding industry. Throughout the night, we were able to meet the evening's featured photographer, Daisy Moffatt, view the flowers that had been arranged by May Flowers Florists, and hear an actual harpist, Ansley Unsworth preform. The latter, actually made the biggest impression upon me. There is something very elegant about harpist music.

Aside from Grandview's catering, we were supplied with a second list that priced all the special décor that Grandview could supply. Everything from floating candles over the mantle to lanterns on the table and bistro lights. (I really loved the bistro lights!) If I had not already started gathering supplies for the table centerpieces, I would have been very tempted to rent the lanterns from Grandview for table centerpieces. They offered 3 decently sized lanterns for reasonable prices. I am giving considerable thought to them hanging around the patio (pictured above), which I like the look of very much.

The simply designed arbor (pictured to the left) however, made it painfully aware that it was going to need some sprucing up a bit. It looked very plain Jane. I'm thinking a trip to Hobby Lobby or Michael's for a silk rose garland or ivy something will be planned very soon. It will be hanging in the dusk light, so I don't think anyone will be closely inspecting it, but I want it to be pretty nonetheless. I'm open to any suggestions that might make this look a bit more elegant and less...drapish.







The tables (on the right) out on the patio on the other hand were very nicely decorated with linens supplied by White Tables. It is a tablecloth and overlay combination, very pretty, but also a bit pricey at around $21 per table. I'm afraid that is outside of our budget, especially to rent. Instead, I'm thinking about buying our linens off of efavormart online. For this look, however, it would probably cost the same. I am actually giving a lot of thought to purchasing linens versus renting them. For one, I get to keep the product and two, because we are doing common black and white colors, I could easily resell them on Etsy or Ebay. I did obtain the dimensions for the tables and will be looking into this venture a bit more.

 
During our walk outdoors (yes! I'm still a bit frightened of weather being an issue outdoors!) I snapped a picture of the courtyard seating sample and thought amused that it would not be long before I was walking down that aisle. It looked so different with the chairs set up. The picture shows it set for 80 people, which is give or take the number of our guest list. I don't think we'll have a problem fitting in a chair here or there though if we go over. Although, I'm thinking of making each row have 8 chairs in order to make the courtyard look more full.

Overall, my impression of the event was good.  The atmosphere was comfortable and helped me get a clear picture of how the general milling about of guests in relation to the course of events might occur during our wedding. The food again was tasty, especially what we kept on our list, and in sizable portions that I think will be manageable as a late night snack. The staff were also very helpful and professional. I'm glad that Grandview is able to offer these events to people who are interested in their venue. It really sets them apart from most places. If we had not already chosen them before the tasting, I probably would have after this event. I have actually been very impressed by Grandview's reputation in the wedding industry. Over the last week I have gone on the search for a wedding photographer (which we be a later post) and have heard compliments from 2 different people about how efficient and professional Grandview is at providing a one of a kind wedding that is uniquely special. Upon that fact, I have no doubt. :)
http://www.efavormart.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment